Setting Intent for 2017
I don’t know about all of you, but I’m a total sucker for new beginnings! It seems as if anything is possible. I guess that is why New Years has always been my favorite holiday. But admittedly, in the past follow through has not been my strong point. Which is why I have been getting serious about my goals and resolutions! And even more so, why I’m excited to set a solid foundation alongside this group of creative ladies.
These three thing will help you follow through on your goals for 2017:
It is very important to surround yourself with people who will help you reach your goals. Whether they are people who after the same things; people who have been there; or like-minded, kind people who will be your cheerleaders. And good news, you can cross this one off the list because if you’re reading this you clearly have a support system in the CYL Squad.
You need to get detailed and exact about what you want. Vague goals usually don’t get met. It needs to be quantifiable, measurable and actionable. Next week we will be working on this as a group.
This is why we spent time at the end of 2016 reflecting on our previous year. It’s important to think about where you have been, what you have accomplished and where you want to be. Consider your own values and beliefs as you come up with your goals. Make sure they align, it’s part of the whole being honest thing. You should be able to clearly visualize what you want-YOU being the operative word. Let’s work a little more on this RIGHT NOW.
1. REFLECT ON THE PAST YEAR
Again, super important to be honest with yourself. Notice I said honest, not harsh. This isn’t an exercise in punishing yourself. We are reflecting on the past year in order to learn from it and decide what we want from this year.
Some questions to ask yourself:
- What is the most important thing you learned in 2016?
- What habits did you notice this past year that you want to change?
- Did you live in alignment with your word/intent?
- Did you achieve what you set out to in 2016?
And that moves us on to the next step!
2. STAY POSITIVE AND LET GO
The great thing about every new moment, is you have the chance to change the direction you are going. This isn’t just true of New Years! It’s true all the time. Reflection is a tool that can help you move forward in a new and more positive direction. Use it wisely. This is also a great time to let go of some things and practice kindness. Forgive yourself if things didn’t go exactly how you wanted them to in the past. Now is your chance to get what you want!
3. EXPRESS GRATITUDE
This is something you should work into your everyday ritual! It’s so easy to get wrapped up in what isn’t going right, that we often forget about what IS going right. Think about this, every single step you make, breathe you take, smile you pass on, hug you share are all opportunities to be thankful! The fact that you are this amazing, living, breathing, miraculous human is reason enough, if you can think of nothing else.
Another trick I learned from a painter friend of mine years ago, when you are feeling extremely low and a bit hopeless, stop and look up at the clouds. Try counting how many shades of blue you see. Your mind will be preoccupied and you will soon be absorbed by that big, magical blue thing that hangs above your head everyday.
4. SAY WHAT YOU WANT, AND SAY IT LOUD
Your success is more than just your bank account or business. All areas of your life work together. So it’s important to think about your life and its many facets.
A few of the biggies:
- Your health and well-being should be high on the list. I’m not talking being fit and running marathons, although those things are cool. You should be taking care of yourself physically, but don’t forget about the mental and emotional aspects of your health.
- Your relationships are also very important. We are social beings and need to nurture our friendships, relationships, and family connections. Think about how you can be your best for these people, not the other way around.
- Your wealth is also important to consider. I’m not talking about a large bank account, but totally cool if that is your goal! When I say wealth I mean your business, or what it is you do to make money. Because it's not materialistic to think about money, we live in a capitalist state and all need it for survival. Think about it this way instead, the more you have (money included) the more you have to give back!
5. SET YOUR INTENT
Now we get to setting our North Star! Your word of the year is essentially your guide for your decisions, goals and otherwise throughout the year. This is going to be very personalized and should be shaped by your previous year along with your values.
My word last year was HUSTLE. And while I certainly did that, it left me lacking in the health aspect of life. Consequently, I’ve decided this year that my well-being needs to be moved up much higher on the totem pole.
My word and theme for 2017 is NOW.
I don’t want to spend as much time in my head worrying about what may or may not happen; how things have turned out in the past; how others may perceive me. I want to forgive myself for past mistakes. I want to work on presence. Learning to be in the moment and accepting life as it is right NOW.
We are also having a discussion in the Facebook Group at 2pm PST today (January 6th) to share our word for 2017 and how we came to that word.
Below you will find an interactive worksheet with exercises to help in setting your intent for the new year! Please keep in mind that the content and worksheets are part of the Squad pro-membership, and by downloading you agree to not share it.